Simethicone is a medicine used to treat excess gas in the digestive tract. It works in the stomach and intestines, breaking the blisters that trap the gases facilitating their release and thereby lessens the pain caused by gases.
Simethicone is known commercially as Luftal, produced by the Bristol laboratory.
The generic medicine of Simethicone is produced by the Medley laboratory.
Indications for Simethicone
Simethicone is indicated for patients with excess gas in the digestive tract. It is also used as an auxiliary medication for medical exams such as digestive endoscopy and x-ray of the abdomen.
Price of Simethicone
The price of simethicone ranges from 0.99 to 11 reais, depending on the dosage and formulation of the drug.
How to use Simethicone
The mode of use of simethicone may be:
- Capsules: administered 4 times daily, after meals and at bedtime, or when needed. It is not recommended to take more than 500 mg (4 capsules) of simethicone gelatin capsules daily.
- Tablets: take 1 tablet 3 times a day, at meals.
In the form of drops, simethicone can be taken as follows:
- Infants: 4 to 6 drops, 3 times a day.
- Up to 12 years: 6 to 12 drops, 3 times a day.
- Above 12 years and Adults: 16 drops, 3 times a day.
Doses of simethicone may be increased at the discretion of the physician.
Side Effects of Simethicone
The side effects of simethicone are rare, but there may be cases of urticaria or bronchospasm.
Contraindications of simethicone
Simethicone is contraindicated in patients with hypersensitivity to any component of the formula and in patients with perforation or bowel obstruction. It should not be used during pregnancy.
- Dimethicone (Luftal)
Home remedy for gases